In November, District 10 Como Community Council invited community donations to once again support their Thanksgiving meals drive. Over $2,200 was donated by the Como community! Your generosity made it possible for us to:
• Work with the North End-South Como Block Nurse Program to provide meals for over 100 Como seniors that you helped purchase and deliver.
• Separately, the North Suburban Kiwanis Club has once again donated nearly three dozen turkeys. The turkeys and Cub Foods gift cards will go to families identified through Como Senior High, Hmong College Prep Academy, and Metro Deaf School. Turkeys will also be going to Como By The Lake senior residents and to augment Focus MN’s distribution event.
• Additional donated funds went to support meals for homeless teens and young adults at the Salvation Army’s Booth Brown House on Como Ave.
Thanks again to our amazing community donors and volunteers!
In December, D10 partnered with the Red Cross and Como Zoo & Conservatory to host a community blood drive at the zoo. Thirty-six units of blood were collected (out of a goal of 29!) from 35 donors, seven of whom were first time donors, and we had some wonderful Como community volunteers checking people in for their appointments.
The Red Cross blood supply shortage continues, please consider signing up to donate at a time that works for you. Stay tuned for future blood drives in the Como neighborhood.
Know Your Como? Join Volunteer Writers!
Are you good at sharing good stories? Then you could be exactly who we are looking for to help with year two of D10 Como Park’s Know Your Como project.
Over the past year D10 Neighborhood Relations committee has assembled volunteer writers from the neighborhood to celebrate and appreciate the large and small contributions of our neighbors and the diversity that make Como a special place. The latest Know Your Como pieces are posted in the D10 website newsfeed and weekly newsletter, but you can find all the articles to date at www.district10comopark.org/kyc/.
This year the group will be looking at featuring places and history, in addition to community members. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join the volunteer team!
Neighborhood Honor Roll
Know someone who makes the Como Park area a better place to live, work or play? Nominate them for the District 10 Neighborhood Honor Roll. The Honor Roll pays tribute to everyday people who make a sustained and lasting impact in our neighborhood or Saint Paul as a whole.
Submit your nominations by email to: email@example.com. Make sure we receive them no later than Friday, Jan. 14. Tell us who you are nominating and why. The Como Community Council board then selects three of your nominees at its January board meeting to recognize for 2020.
Zoom or Call into D10 Meetings
Renters, homeowners, and other community members are always welcome to participate in District 10’s board and committee meetings. You can join either by video conference or by phone.
To find meeting links and call in numbers go to our website calendar at http://www.district10comopark.org/Calendar.html. If you have questions you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, call 651-644-3889.
• Environment Committee: Jan. 11
• Board meeting: Tuesday, January 18
• Neighborhood Relations Committee: Tuesday, Feb. 1
• Land Use Committee: Feb. 2
All meetings begin at 7 p.m. Whenever possible, agendas and other relevant documents are posted in advance on District 10’s website: www.district10comopark.org
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here